Thursday 5 February 2015

Eat Well: #foodspiration

Sweet Potato Shrimp Skillet with a Poached Egg



Recipe adapted from @mealguide

After a long day of lecture and a gross and nasty leg workout with my lovely classmates, I was super stumped with what I wanted to eat for dinner.

It was bad folks... I kept munching away at the Costco chicken that's been in the fridge for the week and then my phone went off.

Thank you Shelby for thinking of me when you saw the sweet potatoes ;).  


    


Recipe

1/2 Onion diced or chopped
1.5 tsp of Homemade Chili Oil (you can use dried red pepper flakes)
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 Garlic Cloves minced
2 cups Sweet Potato diced
Approximately 8 large Prawns cleaned and de-shelled 
2-3 cups of Gai Lan (sorry folks I don't know the English name, but it is similar to Yu Choy but with a bit more texture to it)

In a saucepan (I used a pan that was too small), Heat your olive oil on medium heat.  Add the onions and chili oil and cook with a wooden spoon until the onions are translucent and soft.  Add your garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.  Add in your lovely orange cubes of happiness (sweet potato!) and cook it until it's soft.  Still on medium heat, add a bit of water to help it steam up and cover for 10-15 minutes.

Add your shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until they JUST turn pink.  Add in your veg and turn the heat on low and stir until it becomes wilted.

***Side note:  Because my pan was too small, I boiled water separately in a double boiler and steamed my Gai Lan there

Season to taste with pepper (my chili oil has a bit of salt in it all ready).  And as a garnish, a poached egg.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment