Wednesday 13 May 2015

Eat Well, Feel Well: #chchchchiadonut

Chia Donuts!



One of my favourite go to snacks without the guilt ;).  I recently started my practicum placement at a lovely facility and I wanted to essentially kill two birds with one stone.  Have an excuse to bake more healthy creations and blog about it; now I can give it to people rather then finishing it all myself.

This lovely recipe is from the Oh She Glows book!

Yields 6

For the Donuts:

3/4 cup Oat Flour (I ground up rolled oats in the food processor)
1/2 cup Chia Seeds
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Fine-Grain Sea Salt
1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/3 cup Maple Syrup or other liquid sweetener
1/3 cup Almond Milk (any milk; I used Coconut Milk)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract


Preheat the oven to 300F.  Lightly grease a donut pan with some baking spray.  Set aside.




I was making 3 separate batches because I only had one donut pan :(.  


In a large bowl, combine oat flour, chia seeds, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.


Add your maple syrup, milk and vanilla and stir until well combined.  The batter will be runny, that is just fine!


Spoon the batter into the donut pan, filling each to the top.


Bake for 20-22 minutes until firm to the touch.  You can also use the toothpick test.


Cashew Cream:

*So if you want to drizzle it on I would use 1/2 cup of cashews that were soaked over night (or if you're in a time crunch, soak them in boiling water for 2 hours) and blend it with 1/4 cup of water and you can get the nice lines.

However, I was not sure who would like it or not so I made a more solid Cashew Cream that they could spread on top themselves!

3/4 cup Soaked Cashews
Approx 2/3 cup Water (gradually add until it's at your desired consistency)
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil

Blend everything together!  This made a lot so I would probably half this next time!


|They were a hit!  Hope you give these little guys a try.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment