Tuesday 5 May 2015

Eat Well, Feel Well: #coconutflourcookies

Coconut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies


Yum yum yum cookie time!  It's been such a long time since I've baked and I definitely miss doing it all of the time.  Then again, it's my fault... darn you TV shows...  Anyway, I found a recipe on Detoxinista as per usual these days, and it was a healthier version of chocolate chip cookies and I wanted to see how John would like them.  He's in love with my usual not so healthy chocolate chip cookies.

Recipe from Detoxinista

Made approximately 12 cookies

1/3 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup dairy free chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350F and line your baking sheet with parchment paper.


In a medium bowl, whisk the coconut flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and eggs until everything is combined.  The batter will be runny at first, but just be patient, the coconut flour will absorb the moisture.  Add in the chocolate chips and fold them in.
 

Use a scoop or just a heaping table spoon and scoop the dough onto the baking sheet.  Use your hands to flatten the cookies because they will not spread like your conventional cookie. 


Bake for 12-14 minutes until the edges are golden.  Let them cool on the sheet for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool.


These cookies were sensational and disappeared immediately, so I made another batch the next day.  The reason why the two pictures above are slightly different was because I wanted to experiment a little and also I made a silly silly mistake in the first batch.

For the first batch, I had melted 1/4 cup of coconut oil and once that had occurred, I ended up with a lot more then 1/4 cup of coconut oil.  In result, I had to eye how much coconut flour I put in and ended up with the left picture.  The taste and texture were great luckily.

For the second batch I followed the recipe to the tee and before the oven smooshed them down just a tad just because I noticed the batter was much more wet then the first.  They did in fact spread and was comparable to my usual cookies in the aesthetics.  


Please give these a try!  These were tasty, grain free and healthier then the usual cookies AND they were John approved :).


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment